“Plastic surgery has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My father was a plastic surgeon. I knew from very early on that I wanted to become a plastic surgeon and that I wanted to focus on cosmetic surgery. I enjoyed practicing with my father for a few years, from 1996-2000, and now he is enjoying his retirement and I have continued as the sole surgeon at the Merrillville, IN plastic surgery office. I started in private practice in the Chicago area in 1997 and founded CosMedic Skin and Body Clinic in 2001.
I truly love what I do and I hope that I have the opportunity to help you with your concerns. Thank you again for visiting my site and I hope to meet you soon.”
— James Platis, MD
Chicago and Northwest Indiana’s Top Rated Plastic Surgeon
- Dr. Platis has a sincere commitment to excellence and patient satisfaction. An open rapport with patients comes naturally to Dr. Platis. He realizes that good communication is as important as surgical skills in achieving a successful outcome. He takes time to listen to his patients concerns. He wants to fully understand the results you are seeking, to be sure he answers all your questions and to explain the treatment options available to you.
- Dr. Platis performs a wide variety of cosmetic surgery procedures and is always at the forefront of his specialty, offering the newest techniques with the highest level of skill and safety.
Education and Credentials
- Received his medical degree from Indiana University School of Medicine where he earned the American College of Surgeons’ Award for Outstanding Achievement in Surgery. He also completed his surgical internship and general surgery residency at Indiana University. He served his plastic surgery residency at St. Joseph Hospital in Houston, University of Texas Hospitals, and MD Anderson Cancer Center.
- Diplomat of both the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Surgery. He is certified in microvascular surgery.
- Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, and the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons. His research has been published in the leading plastic surgery journals and presented at various medical conferences nationally including the American Cleft Palate – Craniofacial Association, the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, and the Texas Medical Association. He has also been guest speaker for distinguished groups such as the Houston Society of Plastic Surgeons, and most recently the Midwest Society of Plastic Surgeons where he was asked to present his advanced techniques in body contouring surgery.
- Recognized as a leader in his field and has been featured in numerous local and national news broadcasts and publications including ABC’s 20/20, WBBM News, Fox News, WGN News, the Chicago Tribune, and the Chicago Sun-Times, Oprah, and most recently on the Dr. Phil Show.
- Strives to be abreast of all available procedures and does everything to communicate the benefits and risks of all procedures. His belief is that, “Educating the patient is paramount when you are expecting them to make informed decisions about their bodies and health!”
- A more attractive, natural looking, youthful appearance is truly possible. For more information about Dr. Platis or to schedule a consultation please contact us.
Shellie Cummings, LE
Shellie has been working in the skincare industry since 2001 and is passionate about collaborating with patients to look and feel their best. She feels that investing in your skin is a benefit that truly lasts a lifetime which is why she continues to pursue advanced education to offer the best treatments in this rapidly changing industry. From a basic facial to help deep clean your skin to advanced laser based therapies to reverse signs of aging, Shellie is the best in The Region and beyond.
Kate has been working in the field of plastic surgery since 1996 and as Dr. Platis’s patient care coordinator since 1999. These years of experience make her a perfect resource for patients. She will be with you from your initial consultation through your postoperative care and is eager to help with any questions or concerns you may have.
Kate really enjoys working with patients and guiding them in their decision to have cosmetic surgery and helping them deal with how the procedure will fit into their life and schedule. Please do not hesitate to contact her because her main concern is your happiness and satisfaction.